Winter Fat Bike FAQ's
What to wear:
- Winter exercise has a much higher dependency on proper attire to make the experience comfortable and safe.
- As with any winter aerobic exercise you want to start out a little chilly to allow for comfort once the heart gets pumping.
- Moisture wicking base layer and socks are must
- Hands and feet are areas that can get the coldest. If you keep your head and core warm it helps provide more blood to your extremities
- Nice waterproof insulated gloves are very important. (because the hands are more static while riding they get much colder than other aerobic exercise)
- Waterproof insulated footwear is optimal (low profile lightweight boots)
- It's always a good idea to have a windproof top and bottoms.
- Avoid Cotton anywhere on your body during winter exercise.
- Balaclava or neck warmer and helmet liner
- A helmet with ventilation is key as well, especially one with manually open and closable vents.
- When nearing 0 deg F and below goggles can help.
- Hand and toe warmers help take the edge off
- Where do I get a Kingdom Trails (KT) pass?
You can log on th KT's website and purchase online
Key Supplies and Thought process:
- Bring enough water and nutrition for the expected duration of the ride
- Bring a current winter map and/or go with someone that knows their way around the winter network
- The trails are significantly different than in the summer and can be a little disorienting if you are used to summer only